MEMBER LOGIN  username:    password:       

About Heavy Metals

Mercury is one of the most poisonous elements known to man, and we are exposed to it in small quantities on a daily basis. Mercury is a waste product from the burning of coal to make electricity and is emitted into the atmosphere by the ton every day. Rain brings it back to earth where it contaminates our water, agriculture, and fish. Individuals eating fish more than once or twice a week are at significant risk of accumulating toxic levels of mercury. Because of its potent anti-microbial effects, mercury has been used in pesticides, as well as medications. Read our articles on mercury toxicity for additional information.

Fortunately, the medical community realizes that mercury is a poison and has discontinued using mercury-containing medications in medical practice. However, the dental community has remained slow to catch up in accepting the obvious. Mercury continues to be placed in the mouths of thousands of unsuspecting patients every day by dentists who, innocently enough, are following the recommendations of their professional organizations and current FDA policy.

Common amalgam dental fillings contain over 50% mercury, as well as silver and tin (also toxic in high amounts), and it is the mercury vapor emitted from chewing that is absorbed by the body and quickly binds to many tissues. Several European countries (Germany, Sweden, and Denmark) have recognized this public health hazard and have banned mercury amalgam fillings from use. Unfortunately for the United States, until costly and focused research have been extensively performed to prove that many people have already been harmed, the mainstream will continue to cling to the old ways.

Chronic mercury exposure from occupational, environmental, dental amalgam, and contaminated food exposure is a significant threat to public health. It is the goal of the NCIMS to educate the public as to the dangers of mercury and its affects on our health, and to call for legislative action for the medical profession to greatly reduce or eliminate the amount of mercury given to patients. It is also our objective to educate the medical community, the news media, and the public about the health conditions that can be signs of mercury toxicity and the treatments that are available to those suffering from this disease.